|This electronic flyer highlights our capabilities
and activities in the area of the FOCAS® technology system.
Please sign our guestbook.
Cynthia Webb, Southwest Research Institute.
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) has designed a
flexible burner-based development tool for use by the fuel, oil additive,
catalyst, and automotive industries. Attributes of the FOCAS system include the
- Operates on gasoline, diesel, alcohols, LPG, LNG,
- Unique swirl plate promotes durable operation
- Burner operates over air-to-fuel ratio range of
11:1 to 23:1 (gasoline)
- Operates continuously at stoichiometric
air-to-fuel ratio for extended period of time
- Provides a user-friendly computerized interface
for programming and operation
- Uses oxygen sensor feedback for closed-loop
air-to-fuel ratio control
- Provides programmable aging cycle capability
(such as RAT-A aging)
- Provides automated start-up and shut down
- Safety systems design based on FMEA
- Optional gas-assisted oil injection system
injects oil directly into hot exhaust for oil poisoning work
- Accommodates a wide variety of catalyst shapes
- Accommodates aging of full-sized catalysts
(Animation will go here)
Burner-based catalyst aging provides
complete control of the aging process, including separation of thermal and
oil poisoning aging effects.
This flyer was published in February 1999. For more
information about the FOCAS system, contact
Weber, Manager, Phone (210) 522-5872, Fax (210) 522-3950,
Emissions and Vehicle Research Division, Southwest Research Institute, P.O. Drawer 28510, San Antonio, Texas
A wide range of air-to-fuel ratios is
possible with the FOCAS system specially-designed burner.
Emissions and Vehicle Research Brochures